from The Stanly News & Press, April 14,1972
Written by: Ms. Tina McLester
The Town of Stanfield, bustling little municipality along Highway 200 and the Norfolk-Southern Railroad in southwestern Stanly County, apparently was named for an engineer who helped put the railroad from Raleigh to Charlotte through this in the year 1912.
The following is a compilation of historical data on the community as thorough as this writer could make it with limited time for research.
Love’s Chapel United Methodist Church founded. First building was log, below road among trees. A plank structure replaced it. Charlie Love bought it and built his house
1890’s – Lee School in flat behind Wayne Love’s home.
The railroad was finished in 1912. Stanfield named for engineer on railroad, extending line from Raleigh to Charlotte. Depot on Israel Furr place. C.M. Love third resident of Stanfield. H.P. Love and Luther Thomas moved into new homes same day. The railroad brought the mail, so the Post Office was moved from Locust to receive it. E.B. Smith was the first post master. Lum Huneycutt carried mail on regular Route 1, Locust. After it was moved, Titus Hartsell helped with Star Route 2 (32 boxes reported). When the depot burned, the railroad placed a new one on the other side of the tracks and later moved it. Tim McCoy was the depot agent, later Mrs. Mary Love. Arthur Teeter ran the first store, the first house was built near Mrs. Brooks Jerome’s (her father’s home). E.B. Smith had store, Flory Smith bought it. The Rocky River School was near Sylvester Furr’s Little School (near Hazel Efird’s) ran about 70 years ago, A.C. Huneycutt teacher, later ARch Huneycutt. Tyler Huneycutt taught at Cedar Hill. Mann School (near Aaron Lee’s) was consolidated to Cedar Hill, built about midway in the early 1900’s.
W.J. Lee built home on site of Burton Mullis home, he and Mrs. Lee moved into it in March, kept borders. Charlie Love built that year, also Albert Cratton house built (old Furr or Jenkins) house where Phillips 66 now stands. Les and Nan Brattain moved in, renting it, in September. The E.T. “Tink” Huneycutt store still stands beside Luther Thomas store building, it burned in the 30’s, was vacant. Henry Crayton’s Merchandise Store opened, Mac and Albert worked in it, Ran Tucker bought it. Ran Tucker’s widow ran a store in it after his death. Luther Thomas Store, rebuilt since, was on the corner white it now stands; the original had living quarters upstairs. Sam Lee ran a cafe.
Post Office built, first one was on corner, later used back of what is now Ralph Thomas’ store. Wade Love had present post office built. In 1926, Grady Greene, Sr. moved to town, rented PO Box 32, still has it. He substituted for Lum Huneycutt, Mailman, for about 20 years, four years as regular mail carrier, three years without a substitute. At first, the mail was carried by horse and buggy, then by car. The Star Route has been in existence for about 20 years. The mail run covered Mt. Pleasant and Bear Creek, also. Mrs Effie Tarleton was postmistress in 1939, following Mrs. Ona Little who had the job from ’33 to ’39. Mrs. Roy L. Furr has been postmistress since 1940. The present post office was built in 1955.
The old Smyrna Baptist Church, Drye School, Love’s old mill (water wheel), are included in the Stanfield Community History.
The first school taught in Stanfield was in Luther Thomas’ building (warehouse later used as garage). A prescription school, the teacher was Mrs. Tim McCoy with about 65 pupils. Eight grades were taught in one little building, not more than half the size of one of our present school rooms.
Miss Selma Austin taught in the same building. School was held in Presbyterian Church where Ralph Thomas’ home is. Miss Hargrave taught about 75 students, (Church used by Presbyterians and Baptists). Miss Wadene Love, pianist in 30’s; building torn down in the 30’s. The Lawrence and Claude Smith Livery Stable burned down during a holiday, much trading was going on, people smoking; the straw caught. Twenty-three horses burned. Located on corner below Mrs. Della Petrea’s at the time, Joe Huneycutt had a store where Eva Morgan homeplace is.
The Tom Love cotton gin burned (on site of Stanfield Mills). A two story structure was used for school gym. Lula Furr one of the first teachers (no seats, sat on plants). The agriculture building come from Cedar Hill, sat on corner of grounds. Some students went to Stanly Hall in Locust in higher grades. Haden Baker was teacher, only seven grades. Stanfield second to vote special tax, so built new school. Mrs. Minnie Chaney taught second grade during 20’s. Mrs. Ada McNeely third.
Rocky River, Cedar Hill, and Oak Grove were consolidated into Stanfield School. Grady Green, Sr. drove the first school bus, then Clyde Brooks. Joe Jenkins taught sixth grade. Some high school teachers:Mrs. J.F. Braswell, Carlton Dry, Mrs. Jimmie Turner, Annette Shinn, Frances Misenheimer (Home Ec.). Verna Mae Teeter taught grammar grades in 30’s. One of the early janitors was Wade Hartsell, another, W.C. “Tip” Huneycutt, Marvin Thompson has been for several years now.
Four teachers: Iberia Brittain, Carolyn Upchurch, Zelma Love, Mrs. Robert Furr. B.E. Holbrooks started business, garage and service station; in 1925 it grew into hardware business; groceries in 40’s; plumbing and heating now for about 25 years.
Teachers in 1921 were: L.L. Deuson, Sophia and Leah Kendall, Mrs. Robert Furr.
Teachers in 1922 were: B.E. Battlefield, Nella Blodgett, Lela Furr, Blanche Kind, Mrs. Robert Furr.
1922-23 roller mill run by Tucker Bros. (Arnold, Jake, and Paul). In 1922, Farrington Morgan built his home, ran merchandise store (on right side of street where then stood) in 30’s.
Where Bill McIntyre lives, old Adam Moss school house stood in early 20’s. Jim Furr one of teachers. Bessie Smith, Ada McNeely, Mr. and Mrs. Brooks Jerome Ola Hayes, H.D. Green, Minnie Chaney.
TEacher: Mr Brittain, Mrs. Floyd Braswell, Mrs. Robert Furr, Mary Stewart, Ada McNeely, Lela Furr. Wade H. Love ran a store with brother, Sam, where Stanfield Mills parking lot is, sold to Zeke Morgan, who ran two stores later below Love’s barn. In 1927, Wade Love built his first brick store, running it with Hamp Carpenter. Roy L. Furr ran it for many years. Mr. Love owns the building adjoining his sotre (except for Dwight Osbornes’ Furniture). Mrs. Brooks Jerome owns STyle Center. Love bought lumber plan from Aaron Furr, Herrin, has been operating it on a big scale for about 15 years.
Teachers were: B.T. Hale, Mrs. Floyd Braswell, Ona Love.
Construction began on present school building, a high school, with 12 classrooms and auditorium. Teachers: B.T. Hale, Mrs. Floyd Braswell, Miss Bessie Smith, Mrs. Brooks Jerome, Ada McNeely, M.A. Boger Jr., Zell Rummage, Miss Haywood, Minnie Chaney, Lilliam Parkham, G.L. Winchester. Claude Love garage built in ’26, he ran it until recent illness.
On June 1, R.C. Huneycutt and Tucker brothers were to open new roller mill (Stanfield Milling Co.). V.L. Mills and Rush Love erected new cotton gin with three 80 saw gins, gina a bale every 20 minutes. Love ran it and fertilizer barn until ’64 (died Jan. ’65). the fertilizer was mixed and bagged in n Lancaster, Greensboro and Charlotte, trucked in and resold to farmers. Lester Little ran service station in front of Love’s garage, old hand pump still stands.
Jason Eudy operated first barber shop, still cut hair; Jack Long barbered since 20’s, built present shop in ’58.
B.E. Holbrook built new hardware store in ’27 and filling station. Baptists planning new brick church, material gathering already. The horticulture class (10th and 11th grade) made plans for improving school grounds, program given by James Love, Harvey Jenkins, Craig Smith, Lee Treece, Everette Huneycutt, (13 teachers 1927). The men of community met to make two fills, grade street through school grounds, set trees and shrubs. Evening classes held, school well finished. Businesses in town that year: P.W. Teeter’s Cafe (grocery and candy); J.F. Braswell had chicken mast for sale; Jason Eudy’s Barber Shop; McEwen’s Novelty Store (L.M. McEwen); Stanfield Grocery (Carl Presley); Piedmont Motor Co.; J.F. Morgan (hardware, grocery, shoes); H.P. Carpenter, cotton seeds; Wade H. Love (shoes, cross ties, lumber, real estate); J.L. Tucker (fertilizers). Ten stores, bank, two cafes, lumber plant. Maurice Smith ran bank, Marshall Herrin, cashier.
Tournament champions, basketball team in school; Hoyle Love, Dwight Osborne, Sherrill Huneycutt, Bob Mabrey, Pink Carpenter, Clarence Coley, Roy Furr, Coach Claude Goodman.
Stanfield Hosiery Mill (sock mill) Located where Marshall Haigler’s home is, had a lake nearby for water supply. Virginia and Faye Lee among employees in ’35. It burned in Spring of ’39. T.F Morgan one of previous owners, Jake and Arnold Tucker managing the business. Lester Little was on school committee from ’32 for 18 years, serving with him during later years were Henry Tarleton, Baxter Turner, Arthur Furr, Hoyle Tucker, John Little.
Arch Huneycutt (volume of problems printed) died in ’38 at age of 56. Names connected with blacksmith shop; Marion Hargett, Shue, Jack Mann (operated it for about 20 years), located behind Holbrooks’ store.
In 1935 school mascots were Keith Little and Kay Little. In 1936 – Tina Lee and Bobby Dale Austin (later ones are recorded in School annuals). C.F Henkel joined school staff in 1935, agriculture department (following a Mr. Wigley) and is still serving in that capacity at West Stanly. Lester Little was school board member in ’35.
New mayor of Stanfield, Mr. Henkel is also member of Locust VFD which serves this area. Locust students came to Stanfield from seventh grade on, having no high school. Hayes, Brittain, White Summers, Sam Bivens, W.A. Murray, L.P. Beck, high school principals, present one being E.E. Hatley. Mrs. Ruth Henkel taught French, English grammar, and literature in high school. Mrs. Ona Little, who died in ’68, taught for 37 years; Mrs. Zelma Jerome for 39 years; Mrs. Zell Moss, a teacher for 39 years, taught 37 in STanfield School. Mrs. Ike Blair and Mrs. Lilly Love have been primary grade teachers for several years. A brick gymnasium was built; a primary grades building in ’40’s.
The first meal served in new cafeteria at school was February 26, 1956. Mrs. Bernice Smith manager and Mrs. Lou Hatley helping. The last graduation at Stanfield High School was in 1962, students from 8th grade up, to go to consolidated West Stanly.
Lon and Pearl Morgan had a cafe “Stanfield Grill” they built new, from October 1947 to April 1950. Other businesses added in later years are: Spurgeon Osborne’s Woodworking Shop, Phillip 66 Service, Huneycutt’s BP Service, laundromat (before that, Herman Sasser ran laundry in it) in old bank building, Ralph Thomas’ variety store, Felton Hatley’s electrical repair shop, Marshall Haigler’s garage (B&C Hosiery September 1969 – March 1970), beauty shops, Music Hall, Allendale Furniture industry south of town.
Wendall Talley, now outstanding young farmer in Stanfield area.
Ten churches in area are: Love’s Chapel Methodist, Love’s Grove Methodist, Rolling Hills Baptist, Indian Hill Presbyterian, Friendship Baptist, Stanfield First Baptist, Clark’s Grove Primitive Baptist, Coil Baptist, Philadelphia Baptist, Kinza Baptist, and Poplar Springs.
In May, 1955, a bill was introduced into the NC Legislature to incorporate and charter Stanfield. I.H. Blair was the first mayor, with town aldermen being, Down Greene, Ralph L. Thomas, O.Y. Tucker, Ray L. Little, and Zeb Furr.
In May 1954, the Stanfield Lions Club was organized with 31 charter members, Joe Jenkins, the first president.
Stanfield Mills, managed by Larry Gincarlo, is the major industry in Stanfield, employing about 215.